Monday 19 September 2011

Day Two - A day of two halves...

First half in Blighty, up early at my sister's, so I could be away by 7.30 to cover the 25 miles to Newhaven in time for my ferry. I had a surprise visit from my Dad too, who had driven through from Sandwich to wish me well. So even though the clouds were gathering and rain was forecast, I set off in high spirits. I went down the major 'A' roads, 23, 26 and 27, because last time I rode round there the appalling minor roads nearly shook my bike to bits. It was mostly downhill, but even in the rain, I was at the port by 9.30... Where my sister and Dad were waiting... Smiling... Warm and dry in the car... Gits. I did take the opportunity to charge my phone though.

I went and booked in and we sat in the cafe, where more and more cyclists started turning up, a lot of them in the same kit. When we were queuing to go through to the ferry I asked what they were doing, (they didn't have any kit on the bikes), they were doing a charity London to Paris ride, were spending each night in a hotel and had a support vehicle with them. When I told them what I was doing they were a bit shocked. I took that as "I'm going further than you, so I win".

The ferry was horrendous, I forgot I get sea sick, so spent the whole four hours lying down with my eyes shut, trying not to throw up... Again!

Then it was time to get off and the second half of the day, where everything went metric. Being on the right (wrong) side of the road was weird. I had to look the opposite way first at junctions, look over the opposite shoulder when pulling out and put the opposite foot down when I stopped. It freaked me out for a good half hour, but then I got into it and started to take in where I was. The roads were in excellent condition and the drivers were so courteous. Either leaving lots of space, or slowing down as they went by me. It was some of the best cycling I've ever done, even when the heavens opened and it pi... lashed down.

I arrived at the campsite, 35km form Dieppe, (I told you it was metric) after about two hours riding, absolutely soaked. The owner was a nice chap, spoke English after grimacing at my French, (which keeps turning into German), and I went and set up my wee tent. I've never been so jealous of all the caravans around me. If it rains bad tomorrow, I may book into a hotel, just to dry my kit out.

So far so good.

Laters



No comments:

Post a Comment