Thursday 22 September 2011

Day Seven... Wish it was Eleven

BECAUSE THEN I'D BE FINISHED...

Good days riding today. My new best things are the French super markets Hyper U and E. Leclerc. I get to cool down in the cooler sections, I spray myself at the perfume sections and of course they sell food and drinks. But now I am in Heidi Land, they've gone. (I did also pass a Spar). I'm not sure what tomorrow holds in the way of provisions. I've no doubt that there will be shops, but probably very expensive tourist ones.

Today's ride was the best so far though, it was definitely the most challenging, with over 5,000ft of ascents altogether, but also the first day in a while that went to plan... 156km and on the road about 10 hours, (including perfume stops). I hit my fastest speed down hill so far, 64kmph and I also noticed that a lot of French cows lie down. At the start of the week I thought it was just because of the rain, but no, they're lazy... Just saying.

On the last bit toward the campsite, I took a wee detour into Zurich, well will I ever get the chance to ride in a major European capital again? Never! And I'll never want to, it was bedlam. Trams, cars, other cyclists, (that know what they're doing) and the maddest series of cycle paths. The go on off the pavement, through tunnels that are full of pedestrians, it was proper mad. Can't remember swearing so much in such a small period of time.

Campsite is ok. Mega expensive, 25 francs for the "cheap" plots away from the lake. He almost spat the word "cheap" out at me, bozz eyed twat* (edit Rob). Then I had to pay 2 francs for a 3 min shower, which turned ice cold when the time ran out...mental. Like they didn't steal enough during the war* (Rob).

Anyway, I'm in my tent, by a noisy road and a train track, under a street light, so I can't see me sleeping much tonight. (Double decker trains too. I just saw one go by, all lit up and couldn't work out what was happening)

Eidelweiss

And before I forget, I got over the border well easy, Steve McQueen is rubbish...

No comments:

Post a Comment