Wednesday 21 September 2011

Day Six... Back in the Mix

Having stopped short yesterday I obviously had a bit of catching up to do today, but Team Ottaway did have a back up plan just in case the conditions stopped that from happening. I was going to head for Vesoul, see what I felt like, what the time was etc and then either stay there or head for the original target of Belfort...

I was up early, (about 1973 according to the carpet walled hotel room) grabbed a couple of croissaints, a cup of tea and hit the road.

Now my lovely Garmin SatNav did have a route of 188km, until I told it I was a car and wanted to use main roads, et voila, (more French), it was 167km, very do-able. So off I set, with the morning traffic, 99% of which was fantastic, just the odd BMW driver living up to the stereotype. The weather was clear absolutely no wind and I was making what seemed like good time, with not much effort as I was heading mostly downhill. Being a main road there were also actual proper shops, that sold stuff, stuff I could eat... Amazing. (Although they seem to shut between 12 and 2, around the time I need them most). So unlike the rest of the trip, I had regular food and water fill ups, this made a massive difference and I made it to Vesoul for around 2.15 and stopped for a rest. Belfort was only another 60km, so I decided to go for it.

The main D roads aren't necessarily better than the rural ones I had been going on so far, but the fact that I had proper pit stops makes them a much better choice and I arrived at the campsite in Belfort at about 6.00pm. The owner's speaks excellent English and after he explained where everything on the site was, I asked him his name. He said, "Patrice", which surprised me. I asked him if he was French, (stick with me here), he said he was and said, "is that because of my accent?"... He spoke English with a German accent. Turns out he spent his childhood in Hanover and learned English in Germany... Brilliant.

I have just spent the evening with a couple from Yorkshire on the last 4 days of their 6 MONTH holiday. I'm not sure they want to go home.

Tomorrow I will be in Switzerland... the land of the Toblerone, and stolen Nazi Gold. (You might want to edit that last bit for POP Rob)

Ce La Vie

No comments:

Post a Comment