Tuesday 2 August 2011

First Tonne Done

As part of my training, I set myself a series of goals. Each getting progressively harder, so that they would give a good indication of my progress.

The first of these was to be able to ride somewhere, camp overnight and then ride back the next day. I've done this a couple of times now and have had no real difficulties with it. I suppose 9 years in the Army has been of some use...lol. The next big one was this weekend, where I set myself the goal of riding to Oxford and back in a single day. This would be my first fully laden 100 mile day...

The prep wasn't the best. I ran into my friend Mel as we were both out on a ride and we went back to hers for a cuppa. A cuppa that turned into several beers and a very late return home. So needless to say, I wasn't feeling at my best when I woke up. I set off at 08.30, which was half an hour later than I'd hoped, but good considering. I hate the first half an hour of any ride, it takes me that long to get onto a rhythm and for all my aches to ease, but I also had a headache and a strained right calf muscle to deal with.

The headache went after a couple of bottles of Lucozade, bought from a garage in Hungerford, but the calf felt like it was. on fire and no amount of position changing was helping, only resting it. Eventually I got to Oxford at just after 1pm, absolutely famished and with only thing in mind... NANDOS. It took me a while (and one lap of the ringroad) to find it, but I parked up Keira, (my bike) and headed in for a spicy hot half chicken, chips, coleslaw, mayonnaise and a bottomless drink. I needed fluids so much that I necked the first drink standing at the ice machine, before getting a second and sitting down applying a cold compress to my calf. The food was as amazing as ever and really set me up for my return journey.

I left Nandos and headed along the road I knew out of town, about a mile or so later, I came back past the Nandos, altogether I'd done about 8 miles more than I needed to...lol. (but now I know for next time). The journey back seemed quicker, I left at about 2.45 and was home by 7pm, even the calf had stopped hurting. So I headed up to the Weyhill Beer festival, with Keira, all stinking and sweaty. By the time I'd got home I had done 128 miles...

It was more than planned, but I felt good and was fine on my ride the next day. So fine in fact, that I plan to do it again in two weeks... NANDOS... nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment